Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Last Day in America

I have about 30 minutes before I have to leave for the airport. I am sitting in the middle of my clean room, which is only clean due to the fact that all the clothes that were covering the floor have now been laundered and neatly packed into two suitcases. Despite the clean room and the suitcases and the day full of packing I had yesterday it hasn't really hit me yet that I am leaving for Edinburgh. Even the idea of leaving in general seems absolutely ridiculous to me for some reason. It will probably hit me when I change planes in Frankfurt. If that doesn't make me realize I am not in America anymore and I am not going back to Hampshire this semester then I don't know what will.

I am actually pretty nervous about going to Edinburgh. When I went to China two summers ago I wasn't nervous at all, so I don't really understand what is causing all this anxiety. Scotland is an English speaking country and when just walking around and not speaking I could possibly pass for a native. In China, on the other hand, the main language is obviously not English, there is no way I could pass for a native, and there are some major cultural differences. I guess I am just nervous because there are some things I still have to work out when I get to Edinburgh, whereas once I got on the plane for China everything was already all perfectly arranged.

Well, I better get a move on. Next time: thoughts from Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment